Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 36 and 37 – My Last and Final Week


Our Christmas Wreaths!

Yesterday, I do not know where the time went during the day. I think it makes my days go by so fast when I start school in the dark and end school in the dark. I started off my school day doing something I had never done before. I taught ART class to the students. Even though we were making handprint Christmas wreaths, I still had to have a lesson plan ready to go! So on Monday morning we started the day off with make Christmas wreaths. I started working with the fifth graders in the morning, then the 5th and 6th graders had social studies, and right before lunch the 6th graders made their wreaths. The students began their morning with five sheets of green paper and a strip of red paper. They had to fold the green sheet in have and trace their hands. After they traced their hands on the green paper, the students cut them out, created their Christmas wreath, and finished them with ornaments or Christmas bows. They turned out really good and the students loved their wreaths. I just wished that I had a little more time where they could have added some sparkle to their wreaths, but we ran out of time. It was fun to see what they did to their wreaths and how excited they were afterwards.

After art, the students went to lunch. I ate with the teachers in the teachers lounge and then I went to work more on lesson planning. After lunch, it was time for English! Today was the day the students had to finish their state projects! They turned out really good with the materials that the students had in the school to work with. The students even learned a lot about each state and they will continue to learn about the states in their free time since they are posted up on the walls of the classroom. Even Katarina was amazed at all the facts that the students learned about each state.

Our State Projects
Since the students were done at 2:00 p.m., I also had the opportunity of making my way downtown Umeå. Since I travel by myself to the school, I did not know if and when Amanda and Erika were going to end their school. For the first time ever, I met them on the same bus that takes us to Umeå. We decided that we were going to go shopping for our last minute Christmas presents for our families. We spent about 4 hours shopping downtown before making our way back to our rooms. When we got back we decided to make pasta for dinner, since we have a ton to eat before we leave!

Today was a little different for me. I started my morning out at Kasamark Skola. Kasamark Skola is located more in the country. One of the students that I work with at Linblommans Skola, her mother works at Kasamark Skola and asked Katarina if I could go over there and talk to the students. We agreed, so I went and taught 4th, 5th, and 6th graders about the United States. It was different being in another school all morning, but I experienced another school in Sweden. This school, the students are bused there in the mornings because they live more in the country. It was nice to talk to the students in another school. They were very excited I was there for the morning hours.

After I finished my morning at Kasamark, I went back to Linblommans Skola and spent about an hour there. The students were taking a math test with Frida, and Katarina said that my day was over at 1:00 p.m. since I spent my morning at Kasamark. So, Katarina offered to drive me downtown to catch the bus back to Umeå.

So I sit here writing my blog, deciding foods that I am really craving for back at home, and writing my 10 page paper for Lennart.

4 days and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment